Monday, May 11, 2015

Tim's History of Card Gaming with Royal Paladin Decks

My history with Royal Paladin decks is seeped into my history of card games themselves.  When I was introduced to Vanguard by my buddy Jake, I was trying to get him into Yu-Gi-Oh!.  I was big on X-Sabers, having just bought the new DS game and enjoying their graveyard revival and field flooding mechanics (Oh, so that's why Tim plays Skull Warriors in Buddyfight!).  I also liked their art, too.  Before that, I played a Smoke Grenade/Blast With Chain Warrior deck with Gearfried the Iron Knight as my main unit.

I had played Yugioh when it first came out, took a break after Guardian Sphinx came out, then started up again, playing decks I built out of spares from a friend of mine.  Then I just stopped for about 6 years or so, and only started to get back into the game right before Jake introduced me to Vanguard.

After playing for a while and getting sick of Six Samurai's shit, I eventually fell out of love with Yu-Gi-Oh!, and started to play Vanguard more seriously.

I started with a Gold Paladin trial deck in the sets 1, 2, and 6 era.  By the end of my first day, I had purchased everything I needed for my deck and had the following build.


Tim's First Deck - Paladins of Soul

Barcgal

4 Epona
3 Llew
1 Flogal
4 Margal
4 Elaine

4 Marron
4 Isuelt
3 Pongal
3 Young Pegasus Knight

4 Gallatin
4 Barron
3 Blaster Blade

4 Lohengrin
2 Gigantech Charger
2 Soul Saver Dragon


I knew I was on a time limit.  In just a short while, I would have to switch builds because of the impending date on the Barcgal ban.  I still enjoyed the build greatly and had a good time playing it.  The build was something I netdecked off of another individual who went to my locals at the time (thanks Shaggy!).  I ended up beating him with it several times more than he would beat me with it.  He eventually changed up his build to include Alfred, but I wasn't too keen on Alfred.

Tim Royal Paladin Fact #1 - I have always thought Alfred was a meh card.  My opinion on that has never changed.  I thought he would finally become viable with his revival legion, but his revival legion more or less just sits on the Vanguard circle and ignores the fact that Alfred is even there.


After Barcgal ban - Tim gets fucked, the deck.

Stardust Trumpeter (We have literally no other starters at this point until set 4,
in which case I'd get a 4k vanilla... Thanks Bushiroad.)

4 Epona
3 Llew (Didn't feel like buying another Llew)
4 Margal
1 Gwydion
4 Elaine

4 Marron
4 Isuelt
3 Pongal
3 Young Pegasus Knight

4 Gallatin
4 Barron
3 Blaster Blade

4 Lohengrin
2 Gigantech Charger
2 Soul Saver Dragon


Despite this soul charging build being all I wanted out of a deck, it eventually was hit so hard by that ban that I didn't think there was any way to fix or redeem the decklist.  Soul Saver was almost always a vanilla.  I lost out in card advantage from not having a starter.  I started to get more triggers with Gigantech Charger than non-triggers.  The deck as a whole felt like its cogs just stop turning for me.  I had no real choice but to give it up and move on to Ezelmore.  I start playing Gold Paladin as my new main clan, trying Ezelmore and Spectral Duke.  After set 3, but before set 7, I moved from San Antonio back to Indiana due to my enlistment in the military ending.  Having secured a degree, a new job back home, and not having too much time for card games with my 2 hour commute to and from the office, I had to take a break from card games.  I played every so often on Cardfight Capital, and in the midst of trying out all of the decks I didn't feel like investing money to build in real life because I didn't have a locals, I decided to try messing around.  Consequently, Kageroyals was born.


Kageroyals Alpha

Stardust Trumpeter
Lizard Soldier, Undeaux

4 Epona
4 Tahr
4 Alabaster Owl
4 Dracokid

4 Marron
4 Bahr
1 Gemini
1 Silver Wolf
1 Romario
1 Tough Boy
1 Karenroid Daisy
1 Wonder Boy

3x Gallatin
2x Lamorak
3x Nehalem
2x Garp

4x Stardrive Dragon
4x Crested Dragon



I built a deck with nothing but vanilla units in it and vanilla critical triggers.  I thought to myself, "LOOOL, I can make a deck with nothing but vanillas.  Dis gun b gud."  And by "gud", I meant "bad".  Then I went 10-0 with the deck.  I was like, "Holy fucking shitballs.  What the everloving fuck just happened?!"  At first, I thought it was just the critical triggers, but then I realized that having no counterblasts and no heals meant that I had no incentive to take early damage, I could just guard whenever a single card would prevent damage, and I won through solid rows, critical pressure, and conserving card advantage through guarding properly.  With a metagame of "take damage until 4, then guard", Kageroyals had a massive advantage by choosing when and how it took damage.  I used to play primarily what would be considered strong or meta decks in card games up until this point.  If not, I'd play decks with a single focus around a particular theme or mechanic, and make the decks as consistent as possible.  I don't feel like Kageroyals was a contradiction to that last part, as the deck had a focus and was built for consistency, but it sure as hell wasn't meta.  That being said, after going 26W 3L with it in my first several playtests, I thought I found a gold mine.  Naturally, like a child who just got straight A's on their report card, I went straight to the community (so they could hang it on their fridge) as a completely unheard of individual and started to report my findings, because they were so interesting and so fundamentally different from anything I'd ever seen, I figured people would WANT to hear about it.  Right?  Right...?

Insert my worst-phase of card gaming I was ever in.  The Tim who was trying to prove himsef.  Queue hours and hours of internet shitflinging and arguing with people who would dismiss my findings for no reason other than that the deck was mixed.  I made updates to the Kageroyals decklist to make it more tryhard.  I started with Soul Saver as a free 13k attacker, and Palamedes to hit 21k on RG.  That fizzled when I drew too few Kagero units.  I tried Conroe, and that worked out.  I eventually redid my list and made it into a newer, stronger, and more consistent build for smacking people in the dome.


Kageroyals

Lizard Soldier, Conroe

4 Epona
4 Tahr
4 Alabaster Owl
4 Dracokid

4 Marron
4 Bahr
1 Gemini
1 Silver Wolf
1 Romario
1 Tough Boy
1 Wonder Boy

3x Gallatin
3x Lamorak
3x Nehalem
3x Garp

4x Dragonic Waterfall
4x Knight of Conviction, Bors


Consequently, the backlash and outrage that this deck generated was enormous.  I was just some scrub who nobody had ever heard of trying to push out the concept of a mixed deck doing well.  And not only that, the deck is filled with units that also don't do anything other than be big and exist.  The more I tried to argue with playtesting, reasoning, and screenshots, the more people ridiculed me, challenged me, and explained to me why I was bad.  This process went on for months and months.  People would play the build, no guard until 4 damage to activate the limit break that doesn't exist, and get rekt when they can't guard late game.  People would complain that they never moved Conroe back (this is actually why Workerpod Saturday became the official starter, I made the deck less optimal so that it "felt" better, then would encourage people to "discover" Conroe on their own).  People would change the decklist entirely, adding perfect guards, draws, heals, taking out one of the two clans, and then claim that my mixed deck doesn't function.

I did what little I could to try and create credibility for my decklist.  People continued to bash me.  And I would be challenged on Cardfight Capital several times in a row with people just trying to shut me up or make me stop trying to prove that this deck was a legitimate, powerful deck.  I would fight and beat 6-7 people in a row.  They would say, "You just got lucky."  I would fight that 7th or 8th person, they would heal 3 times, winning because their 1 to pass succeeded so they didn't lose by taking their 9th and 10th damage.  Then after the fight, "Told you so."  Shit like that happened on a consistent, daily basis.  After 4 or so months passed, a post happened to show up on NACFV.  "I played Tim's Kageroyals deck at a 32 man tournament and won it!  It's actually really solid!"  My buddy Jake ended up winning a box from it at San Japan (I think there were 31 people there).  People were topping locals.  More and more people started trying the deck.  Suddenly, my opinions, while still widely disregarded by a majority of the community, had a little bit of hold on North America Cardfight Vanguard.  This was the eventual end of the shitty, constantly arguing on Pojo, fighting tooth and nail over every single little point "Tim who was trying to prove himself" and the start of "Hipster Tim".  The mixed deck, 16 critical, early guarding personality who defied the conventional means of playing Vanguard by choosing to not let his face get pummeled until limit break and then starting to guard all of those 15k to guard swings, and having games end on his 4th turn consistently. No, but for real, the community was really bad at the game, then.  Kageroyals wasn't even some mysterious, overpowered list.  It won so many games strictly because it countered the pisspoor playstyle of the day.  That's the big secret, folks.  The deck wasn't even tier 1 at the time.  People were just bad.

About at this time, I got a raging boner for Dark Irregulars.  They have a playstyle that is identical to how I want to play Royals, only, they have easier soul charging mechanics, and Amon as a boss had more synergy with the deck style than Lohengrin did.  The only thing they were missing was a grade 2 Doreen.  It didn't take me more than a couple of matches to figure out that Blazing Flare Dragon works pretty nicely with Amon, and he became my replacement for Barron.  Before too long, I start developing my mixed deck "Hellfire Ritual" for the set 7 Dark Irregulars meta.  With set 7, we got an amazing starter by the name of Greedy Hand.  One day, when I was using Hellfire Ritual online, I had to ride Blazing Flare Dragon, which was ehh.  Since I didn't have 5 soul and really need to retire a unit, I started looking over my cards to see if any of them could be used with a non-Dark Irregulars Vanguard.  Lo and Behold, Greedy Hand just needs you to grab a Dark Irregulars from your deck and doesn't care if you have a Dark Irregulars Vanguard or not.  This turned on a lightswitch in my head.  What I really wanted was to just play Royal Paladins again, and play them the way I have always played them, as a soul-based build, gaining power for increasing your soul, then soul blasting to push for game.  Greedy Hand was the missing ingrediant for Paladins of Soul.  Queue, Corrupt Paladins of Soul (AKA Sit down Barron, you're drunk!).


Tim Royal Paladin Fact #2 - My usual way for starting a game with this deck back in the day, when playing casually, was to have my Greedy Hand in my opening hand, and have Barron face down.  When we were supposed to stand up the Vanguard, I would flip Barron over, act irritated, and say, "Sit down, Barron.  You're drunk."  Then shuffle him back into the deck and draw a new card.  My friends and I had some good laughs with it.


Grade 0's
3x Greedy Hand
4x Alabaster Owl
4x Bringer of Good Luck, Epona
4x Margal
4x Yggdrasil Maiden, Elaine

Grade 1's
4x Young Pegasus Knight
4x Flash Shield, Isuelt
4x Prisoner Beast
1x Pongal

Grade 2's
4x Great Sage, Barron
4x Knight of Silence, Gallatin
2x Blaster Blade

Grade 3's
4x Demon Slaying Knight, Lohengrin
2x Soul Saver Dragon
1x Swordsman of Explosive Flames, Palamedes
1x Solitary Knight, Gancelot


This list is largely similar to the previous lists, only we've replaced Marron for Prisoner Beast so we have a chance of moving back Greedy Hand.  If we don't, it's no different from running Stardust Trumpeter, so there's no reason to complain about missing the forerunner skill, since this deck's only other option at the time was a 4k vanilla that can't move to soul later.  If we do move back Greedy Hand, then when we have out Barron and Young Pegasus Knight on the field in the same row, all we have to do is move Greedy Hand to soul and we instantly have a 26k row.  That was fucking HUGE in the sets 1-3, 6-7 meta.  Between Margal, Pongal, and Lohengrin, making rows larger was fairly easy.  Palamedes was an out to hit 21k with Prisoner Beast.  Gigantech Charger was removed, as the deck can potentially not plus off of his skill since he can only call Royals.  Since we were running two extra starters, Gancelot was running double-duty as both a grade 2 and a grade 3.  The deck wasn't as solid as it was with Barcgal due to less consistency, but the deck had more potency.  The explosive plays could occur on multiple turns with Soul Saver plays being viable again with more soul from Greedy Hands, and that soul charging powering up lines.  The deck finally "felt" complete again.

Set 9 came along, and I had since started to work on other decks like Tom and Jerry.  It felt like it had been ages since Royal Paladins got a real upgrade.  We get a single dual-clanned card with Blaster Blade Spirit.  I saw the potential of it, and decided to build a troll deck around it that wasn't intended to be good.  Just fun.  The deck focuses on spamming Alfred's effect as a RG to spam call Blaster Blade Spirits from deck, retiring a unit of theirs.  It's essentially a CB4 version of Ashlei Reverse's skill that can only call one particular card from deck to get the retire.  Putting it in an unflip engine deck gave it the chance to generate plusses over the course of the game.


Royal Novas

Lionet Heat

4 Red Lightning
4 Shining Lady
4 Epona
4 Alabaster Owl

Grade 1's
4 Marron
4 Claydoll Mechanic
3 Twin-Blader
3 Lionmane Stallion

Grade 2's
4x Blaster Blade Spirit
4x Hungry Dumpty
3x Gallatin

Grade 3's
4x Alfred
4x Mr. Invincible


Queue set 10.  The announcement was made that Royal Paladins are coming back.  I am STOKED.  They're getting support in the initial set of the new season.  They get first dibs on the power boosts for the new mechanics.  They're going to get sweet abilities that I can integrate with my older cards, and I might be able to make an upgraded version of Paladins of Soul!  Wait, what?  N-no!  Not only are these all a bunch of annoying looking Elf chicks, but literally every single good card IS LOCKED TO THEIR ARCHETYPE!  And all their archetype does is call more things of their archetype and gain bonus crit?  Their boss isn't even 11k base power?  She has to have limit break and a mostly full field of archetype specific units to just get MLB's permanent effect on her turn only?  Wow.  WOW.  This sucks.  The breakride is utter garbage.  Fucking.  Why.

Well, as you can probably guess, set 10 offered fucking nothing for my style of Royal Paladins.  It didn't even offer anything for any other styles.  It's like, "We hated how OP Royal Paladin was for the first 3 sets, so here's a massive fuck you.  Enjoy playing with your awful Elf chicks with little-to-no-room for tech choices because the requirements for activating anything are especial counterblasts and 4 archetypical units on the board.

That was so fucking dumb.  SO DUMB.  I didn't even touch the deck.  I couldn't tolerate its very existence.  Royals didn't look like they were "coming back" so much as being forced into this new deck with no other outs.

We got one gem in set 10, Knight of Explosive Axe, Gornemant.  In Bushiroad's attempts to create shitty, unplayable common size 3's for filler, they ended up accidently creating something usable.  Gornemant clones in every other case were made out to be pretty worthless due to the Pellinore rulings causing his interaction with Muungal to fizzle.  No other clan had multiple grade 3 riding in a single turn that was consistent or worth running.  They were literally one time power-ups if you happened to break ride, which was made less consistent by running non-break ride non-boss grade 3's.  After a certain point, I was just like, "Fuck the Barcgal ban.  I'm going to have fun."  And when I have fun, I tend to take it up to 17... grade 3s.


17 Grade 3 Deck

Barcgal

15 critical triggers (3 Llew)
1 Flogal

4 Young Pegasus Knight
4 Sage of Guidance, Zenon
4 Isuelt
2 Lien, eventually Richard

2 Blaster Blade

Core 10 grade 3's

4 Gornemant
4 Pendragon
2 Exculpate

Optional 7 slots
2 Soul Saver Dragon
1 Gancelot
4 Crimson Butterfly, Brigitte (eventually becoming other cards like Exiv, Sanctuary Guard Dragon, Altomile)
1 Sanctuary Guard Dragon (Can grab Richard from deck for plussing)
1 Alfred Exiv (Legions with Blaster Blade)
2 Altomile (Bad card, but meh.)


Many people have seen the troll video and understand how the deck works.  You call out as many Gornemants as you can.  Ride a Pendragon, they gain 10k.  Limit break, ride another grade 3, they gain 10k.  Call Zenon, reveal the top card of your deck.  If it's a grade 3, superior ride it, and your Gornemants are now 40k a piece.  It requires set-up to make it work optimally, but it's still a really solid decklist.  You get more versatility with stride being a thing, now, since you can essentially guarantee stride fodder.  You always have the option of riding Exculpate, then striding over him to retain defense, as well.  All-in-all, the deck functions well.  It's just glass cannon, and comes with all of the issues that being glass cannon would entail.  That being said, I can't play it in tournaments because Barcgal is still banned.  If extreme format becomes a thing, I'd probably choose to play this over some cancerous Gear Chronicle/Great Nature unblockable deck, because Extreme Fight should be about fun, and not cancer.  But it probably won't be.  And by that, I mean it probably won't ever be an event.

So, several sets pass.  Kageroyals stopped being good by roughly set 11.  They became completely invalidated in set 14 when Ashlei Reverse and Dauntless Dominate Drive Reverse showed how much you are now allowed to plus with a single counterblast, so guarding early no longer gave you as much sustained card advantage as just using your limit break.  Critical attacks were free and every turn and high in power.  Dauntless was a bitch to deal with.  10k archetypical grade 1's more-or-less invalidated tanking with vanillas for any row other than their Vanguard row if they went second.  Tom and Jerry was still competitive for a litle while, but not one of the best decks in the game anymore.  Set 13 hit, and Chaos Breaker created issues for all of these RG dependant decks of mine, Tom and Jerry fell off, and I had to more or less choose.  Try something else, continue to lose, or start playing the meta.  Set 13 introduced Tidal Assault, which I used to make Ripple Rush for Aqua Force.  It playtested far better than my balanced, mixed decks ever did by securing early kills before my opponents could even breakride.  I had already played other rush decks like Cat Butler and Brutal Jack along with Platinum Rush, both of which I made at around the set 8 timeframe.  I had pretty much left the mixed deck scene from a combonation of the Lord mechanic, Royals becoming girly elves and being completely non-inclusive of older support, and clans reaching the point where they can run 16 critical triggers from their monoclan decks. 

To recap, my last several Royal Paladin creations were either mixed decks or used Barcgal.  This has been true since the day of the Barcgal ban.  To me, Royals stopped feeling like Royals altogether.  My set 1-2 build is hopelessly obsolete in the face of card like Chaos Breaker.  Then a generic, Soul Saver Dragon-esque figure appears from the darkness in set 14.  Sanctuary of Light gets revealed.  Generic Royals get their first real support in 10 sets, because I'm not counting Blasters in set 5.  And then after playtesting it... it was hopelessly inconsistent.  Ride Chains have that problem in general, but this was an archetype locked deck that had a limit break locked small power boost to units of the archetype.  Fuck off.  It was just another "Jewel Knights" in my eyes.  Good thing I didn't go with it, because it still hasn't gotten support to flesh it out even though it's a fucking archetpye.

Then, queue all of these people playing broken as fuck Ashlei Reverse, and doing it completely wrong.  They kept running some pointless draw triggers in their deck, when they literally have between 15-16 out of their 19 grade 2 or higher units that swing for 11k or more.  Stands have never wanted to be in a deck that nobody thought to run them in as much as Ashlei Reverse wanted stand triggers.  Even though I didn't build this deck in real life because I hated Jewel Knights, I did end up making a list for them because I thought that everyone was doing it wrong.  You should be running Quintet Walls in this meta where even Break Rides didn't swing for enough to make the Quintets at risk of being passed.  Counterblasts weren't used much.  Quintets loaded up your drop with potential Ashlei's to be returned with Alwain.  Alwain can give power to a RG Ashlei.  That Ashlei will swing for 21k with a boost.  If you hit a stand trigger, it will swing for 21k again without a boost.  It all seemed pretty simple to me, but I just didn't see anyone go for it other than my friend Daniel.


Ashlei "R", Timmy Style

Grade 0 (17):
1 Desire Jewel Knight, Heloise
4 Blazing Jewel Knight, Rachelle
2-4 Jewel Knight, Noble Stinger
4 Jewel Knight, Opt Harpist
0-2 Jewel Knight, Glitmy
4 Jewel Knight, Hilmy

Grade 1 (14):
4 Jewel Knight, Prizmy
3 Stinging Jewel Knight, Shellie
3 Security Jewel Knight, Alwain
2 Flashing Jewel Knight, Iseult (PG)
2 Summoning Jewel Knight, Gloria (QW)

Grade 2 (11):
4 Banding Jewel Knight, Miranda
4 Fellowship Jewel Knight, Tracie
3 Linking Jewel Knight, Tilda

Grade 3 (8):
4 Broken Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei “Яeverse”
4 Pure Heart Jewel Knight, Ashlei



So, set 15 comes.  Glendios becomes a thing.  We have our first 11k unit with absolutely no negative restrictions on it being your boss unit.  It looks like Bushiroad is going to encourage clan mixing for the first time since set 5.  I was actually not sure how to feel.  A part of me wanted to believe, but I think that deep down I knew better.  Set 15 passes, and the we go to the V-Road.  Kai is confirmed to be playing Royal Paladins, with the new Seeker archetype. 

Blaster Blade is back as a Seeker.  These cards look fucking legit.  THIS IS THE ROYAL PALADIN I FUCKING WANTED!  Not elf chicks and half-assed archetype dragons.  And then it happened.  No Lord.  Anywhere.  I knew already that mixed clans were getting banned soon, just by that.  I started looking at the boss units.  And one of them really appealed to me.  I was in love with Brutus.  He made Kageroyals style of play very easy with his +3k power boost, making my rows hit 21k easily.  Seekers also had an 8k booster starter.  While retirement or locking could hit the deck, I found that it rekindled Kageroyals for me as a new monoclan deck that functions properly.  After messing around with my list, I was able to settle on a build I found suitable.


Monoclan Kageroyals - Brutus Style

Lucius

16 Critical Triggers, 8 Seeker

4 Marron
4 Shiron
4 Cynric (Now 4 Felax)
2 Youthful Mage

4 Valrod
4 Cerdic
3 Locrinus

4 Brutus
4 Egbert


I won my locals with it without too much trouble.  The decklist plays similarly to old Kageroyals.  It's kind of like running Swordmy, in that you have to get Seekers in your damage for your deck to run, but that isn't typically too much trouble with the quantity of them in the deck.  With a busted as fuck G-Zone for Royals now, especially with cards like Samuil, the non-archetype damage can be counterblasted easily as a backup plan, regardless.  That being said, since the Seeker bosses don't actively do anything special, if you're focusing on Generation Break, this deck has no real utility.  So you're pretty much locked into playing Legion style with the deck using your GZone to compensate for what you can't do with Legion alone.

Moving on, after seeing Thing Saver, I told myself I was going to build it.  I liked that it had soul interaction.  I liked that it fed soul to itself.  I liked that it allowed techs by not having especial counterblasts.  It was like, the ultimate dream card.  The only problem with it was that it was TOO good.  Like, cancerously good.  I won't complain when I'm tossed a bone, though.  That being said, I didn't enjoy playing it monoclan that much.  I felt like the build didn't have enough options to make it particularly consistent in getting a third attack off.  I sure as hell didn't want to run Pongal and Margal again.  Soul Saver is laughably awful at this point.  I wanted to incorporate soul building into the deck, running Young Pegasus Knight and Barron, and make the deck function like my old set 2 build.  But it didn't have what it needed on its own.  Then, the Genesis extra booster was released in Japan.  And their starter was just, "If your Vanguard is in legion, Move to soul, soul charge 3, give your Vanguard +5000 power".  ...  HOLY SHIT!  This card alone makes the entire deck better.  With no more lord and no more same-clan Vanguard requirements, the shit released within a month of Lord being gone is already nuts.  Naturally, to make pulling my starter back more consistent, and because Thing Saver doesn't give 2 shits about what cards are in its deck, I ran an entirely Genesis grade 1 line up other than my 4 Young Pegasus Knights.  Pulling back my starter was super consistent, and I ran a couple of back-up copies of it as well in the event it got retired or wasn't pulled back.  Moving that unit to soul gave Izaya (yeah, that was in there too), Barron, and Young Pegasus Knight 12000 power a piece.  That's insane levels of power.  Izaya is 21k unboosted just from that.  Then you also factor in that I haven't used a single counterblast, I now have the soul I need to use Thing Saver twice, and I have 38k+ rows.  With 16 critical triggers... And 6 drive checks.  Yeah, they're kind of fucked if I reach this point.

Tim Royal Paladin Fact #3 - I love soul-based paladins so much, that my inability to let them go created the nastiest mixed deck in the Legion format.


Regalia Paladins

3 Pray Angel

16 Royal Paladin Critical Triggers

4 Shiny Angel
4 Framboise
4 Young Pegasus Knights
2 Preach Angel

4 Barron
4 Izaya
2 Blaster Blade Seeker

4 Thing Saver
3 Wingal Brave


So.  This deck was it.  I finally got back everything I ever dreamed of.  And I knew it couldn't last.  Just like with my impending Barcgal ban, I knew it was going to be ripped straight out of my fingers.  Before too long, the announcement was made, and mixed decks were officially banned in Japan.  I knew it would be happening in English eventually as well, so when we finally got Thing Saver, I decided against building it, and that made me feel all kinds of awful.  It actually took far longer for them to ban mixed decks that I thought, and I would have gotten plenty of usage out of the deck, pissing my locals and everyone else off with the cheese of a consistent push that makes Spike Brothers look like a joke. 

All that aside, I let it go.  And I let Vanguard go.  I started really picking up and playing Buddyfight competitively at this point.  In just three tournaments, I had topped a regionals and am the incumbent GenCon champion.  I feel like I do way better at it, and that the game is more competitive than Vanguard.  With mixed decks gone and rush decks either game destroying or gimped, and every set increasing in power creep, cost, and not increasing in versatility, I felt locked into a spot where there just wasn't any versatility anymore.  The game practically plays itself.  The decks build themselves.  It's been that way for a while, but now all of my options were restricted to single clan decks, and I just wasn't enjoying myself anymore.

At about this timeframe, I lost all interest in Vanguard.  After getting gradelocked twice with Glendios last regionals, I just wasn't feeling it anymore.  Japan took away most of my favorite cards for my rush decks, like Laurel and Cat Butler.  They took away my mixed decks.  Generation Break made games last longer because your rear guards are vanillas until you and your opponent are grade 3.  You might be thinking, "Wouldn't this make Ripple Rush fantastic?"  I mean, sure.  It just hasn't received a single card upgrade since set 13.  Even now, with G-Set 2 out and a trial deck.  None of the Generation Break units can be used reliably in the deck because they're too slow.  I discovered Seeker Rush a while before this, but didn't want to post it because the deck made everything in the game extremely anti-fun.  I haven't used Seeker Rush in any tournaments yet, even though I've playtested it extensively against most of the meta decks, and it's stupid.  I actively refuse to play this at anything other than regional level events and ARG tournaments because it kills the fun so much for both you and your opponents.  That being said, the deck is beatable if you hit enough defensive triggers and retake card advantage from going second or twin driving.  It just wins most of the time and negates most of the fun.


Seeker Rush

4 Composed Seeker, Lucius
8 Seeker Critical Triggers
8 other Royal Paladin Critical Triggers

4 Bravogal Seeker
4 Honest Seeker, Cynric
4 Heaven Arrow Seeker, Lunate
4 Seeker, Sebrumy
4 Seeker of the Right Path, Gangalen
4 Seeker, Plume Wall Angel
4 Seeker, Youthful Mage
2 Any other Seeker 7k grade 1


So, now we're entering the stride era.  Royal Paladins continue to be a main character clan, even if that main character is awful.  We get a new boss unit with Altomile.  One problem.  Altomile fucking sucks.  Every other "when your G-Unit strides over this unit" boss has had at least a decent effect pertaining to card advantage.  Altomile is like, superior garbage.  Ugh.  I bought two trial decks for the promos, and went on to play around with the new sweetness.  And all I was able to discover is that the RG's are amazing, but Altomile is holding them back.  I switched up to trying to incorporate Altomile into my 17 grade 3 deck, and it's meh.  I just couldn't find a use for Royal Paladins in the stride era, in spite of them having some of the best cards.

Tim Royal Paladin Fact #4 - I really, really fucking hate Altomile.  More than I hate Alfred, since I could at least build a funny troll deck around Alfred.


After a bit of ambivalence to the game, they announced new Dark Irregulars support.  Since Dark Irregulars actually allows me to play the game how I wanted to play Royals, I was plenty happy to hear it.  Then a particular stride was announced in the Fighter's Collection.  Madu, a Cray Elemental.  He lets you return a grade 3 from your drop to your hand when you stride if your Vanguard has 10000 or less base power.  Madu gave me a hard on for about a solid week after reading it.  The first thing I wanted to do was try to abuse it with a 10k base power Vanguard that could hit 11k from a ride chain.  I started off with old Phantom Blaster Dragon, trying to spam Dark Mage, Badhabh Caar for free plusses, then eventually going into Diablo for more pressure.  The deck didn't pan out because Shadows don't have the Generation Break support that they need to make that deck work.  I then tried using Giraffa, to have Jaggies as a backup option and spamming Violent Vesper while returning them back to my hand with Madu.  That worked a little better, but Megacolony currently has NO generation break support, so that will likely have to wait a bit before it has a chance of working.  Finally, I tried Royals out.  You can probably tell that my entire deck idea was built around spamming Gigantech Charger clones for free plusses, returning them to my hand, and doing it all over again.  In theory, it was sort of working for the other two builds.  I've been playing the Royal version over the last few days, and I made a few realizations in testing.


Tim Royal Paladin Fact #5 - I think the Swordmy tech is good.  Not game breaking, just good.  That being said, the main reason people are running Swordmy in my opinion isn't so much that Swordmy is amazing as Royals have fucking nothing for grade 1 choices.  I did a little research on all of our Generation Break grade 1's.  We have 10k attacker which is garbage because it's too slow to be useful.  We have 10k booster which is garbage because it's only in the Vanguard row, and the Vanguard is already going to be fucking huge.  And we have Shot Putter.  Counterblast 1, sack himself, give two units +5k.  That's some Altomile tier shit right there, but at least it's more versatile about how and when you use it.  If we had legitimately useful grade 1's, I think Swordmy would phase out of being "max in every Royal Paladin deck, ever".


1.  Swordmy didn't help my deck at all.  I refuse to run only 8 critical just to make Swordmy more consistent.  Knight of Twin Sword and Blaster Blade Spirit were too important to drop for more Jewel Knights.  The Jewel Knight grade 1's are all glorified vanillas.  I damage checked non-Jewel Knights constantly while testing.  Not to say that Swordmy is a bad card, it's actually damn good.  He just didn't splash well here.

2.  It doesn't matter what my Vanguard is as long as it has 10k or less power.  Riding Gigantech Charger, then making it 11k with Pica is hilarious.  It's still swinging for 31k with a 7k boost.  The card advantage is all that matters in the end.

3.  Holy shit, having a stride enabler is so much better.  Shadows and Megacolony didn't have them when I was testing those decks out, and it's so much smoother to have one, even if I'm not running Altomile.

4.  Royal Paladins may be lacking in grade 1 support, but they have the BEST GZone in the game, currently.  Samuil is a beast.

5.  Knight of Twin-Sword is fucking stupid amazing good.  No wonder Altomile has to suck!

Here's my list.  Please read point 2 again and in mind that I am a troll/hipster, and winning with this boss card makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.


You Madu Bro?

Millius

12 Critical Triggers
4 Heal Triggers

4 Perfect Guard of your Choice (RAINBOWS FOR ME!)
4 Sicilus
4 Light Elemental, Pica
2 Knight of Shield Bash

4 Knight of Twin-Sword
4 Knight of Black Mantle
3 Blaster Blade Spirit

4 Gigantech Charger
4 Stardrive Dragon

4 Madu
2 Samuil
1 Gablade
1 Jirron


This deck has gone well in my initial testing (12W 0L).  That's not me trying to hype this deck up or anything.  I fought quite a few bads on Area making up a good chunk of these wins.  I do think that this deck is viable, though.  Not super competitive, but able to keep up enough to plausibly win against the meta decks in a 2 of 3 situation without sacking too hard.  You have card advantage out your ass, free triple drive, your units can easily hit the 11k defense mark with Pica, and you have one of the best damn GZones in the game.  You can grind your opponent down, easily repairing any holes in your field, then if you feel ready to push for game, Samuil is there to make your opponents really sad.  Most of the games I play with this deck take a while to finish because of the constant field and hand flood that goes on.  The disadvantages of going second are completely nullified with this deck (due to striding being free), so it's actually advantageous to go second assuming your opponent doesn't play a ride chain or vanillas and blocks all of your attacks super early.  But, even if they do, you have burn to fix that.  The fact that strides take on the name of what they stride over means that I win most of my games swinging with Stardrive Dragon.  And that's just awesome to me.  Lol.

Give this deck a try if you want to have some fun.  Stardrive is of course, interchangeable with any other Royal Paladin grade 3 that's less than 11k base power.


That's actually all of my decklists for Royal Paladin decks since I've been playing Vanguard.  You can see where all I wanted was to keep playing set 2 Royals, and Bushiroad took that away from me every single time I was able to attain it again.  Either through banning Barcgal, power creep, or banning mixed decks.  I had several unique and interesting mixed decks with Royals that allowed me to have some fun over the years.  The vast majority of the decks I've played cannot be used, currently.  That being said, I still love set 2 Royals.  I would love for them to adopt that playstyle again, but Bushiroad has made it clear that Dark Irregulars are going to be the ones to have it.  Even though they still only have as many Doreen clones as Royal do this many sets later.  To this day, I'm still torn between whether or not Royals or Dark Irregulars are my "true" clan.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see new post in your blog and really interesting biography you had there. Somehow i make some conclusions after read your post

    1. Agreed on Altomile, somehow i didn't like him too, maybe the way he is power up is bit off in Royal play style.

    2. Kinda sad when people bash you when your trying to prove your deck (especially your play style ) and Bushiroad did not make it better. I guess that's how the world works.

    3. I just realized that Barcgal is good, either is for filling up soul or consistent grade 2 ride. Never try Barcgal since Bushi ban him and at that time i was come into vanguard in set 11 i believe.

    4. You mentions some few "bad" people in Area, mind if i can know them too ?.

    5. Surprised that you did not like Jewel Knights, but i kinda understand than since at those time Jewel Knights had bad units around them (disappointing breakride unit, trying to fill field but fail since it's locked at Jewel Knights), they change when Ashley Reverse came but again she is only make JK a bit better. For now JK is pretty awesome (for me) and it's thanks for Violinist and Swordmy, never i play the deck that is so simple and "fast".

    6. Completely agreed with your statement about Generation Break Unit Rear Guard, they completely useless on early game and it hold your fun since you and your opponent need at G3. Sure it's maybe to prevent fast played rush otk deck (Magnum Assault or Sazanda - Hank combo is a beast if they had no GB restriction) and to encourage people to use stride often but still it's annoying me.

    I just wishing that there will be a fair amount of balance in quantity for the GB RG and non GB RG, i really don't want to see GB RG flooded the next sets.

    7. Since you knew about YGO too, can you recommdend me fast swarming deck in YGO, aside from plants, X-saber, Six Samurai, Zombie or Black Wing ?.

    Preferably if those decks have swarming units for Beatdown rather than synch or XYZ them to call nastier unit, but either way is fine.

    Congrats for your Buddy fight results and i hope the best for you.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way too far out of the Yu-Gi-Oh! loop to be able to help you there.

      Area is more or less packed with bad players. You have to sift through them to find the good players.

      And yes. Ashlei was the worst breakride in the game. I wasn't too happy about that.

      Delete
    2. Oh lol. i misunderstand the bad player things. I thought the bad player is badass skill player, but the truth is they are bad skill players according to your reply. Man, my brain must be tired when i reading your post.

      No problem about YGO things, sorry to have you worked up.

      Every your tournament post always remind me that VG is full of randomness, is not always cool game when cool thing always happens (double crit, miracle heals). There will be always sad things and salty things, grade locked, sacked, cheating opponent, triggers bitch, shitty draws, dummy people, grade locked, useless card, pointless argument, rude players, and dang it's grade locked again !.

      But yeah, the point is i am enjoying your post, really cool.

      Thank you for the reply.

      Have a nice day, while i am enjoying lunch with my imaginary Ashley.

      Delete
  2. What justifies four copies of Lucius in grade 1 rush? I would be afraid of drawing an 8k booster when a 9k or 10k attacker would have been better. I pilot Liberator Rush from time to time and it seems two Waltimells is more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucius is a 10k shield if you have full field and a 8k boosterif you're missing a booster. Of course the deck maxes 9k/10k attackers already so you're left with vanilla 7k or a versatile 8k

      Delete