Saturday, June 15, 2013

Platinum Rush Wins a Locals

I was messing around with this deck at locals this week and I managed to pick up a locals win with it. It's one of those decks that is very consistent, but when you can't get out the cards you need, it falls apart quickly. The deck can rack up 1-8 damage on turn two depending on how good/bad your setup is. I'll talk more about how the deck works, but first, the list.

Grade 0's
Starter - Goyusha
8 Crits
8 Stands (one should be Guide Dolphin)

Grade 1's
4x Karenroid Daisy
4x Commander Laurel (Key card)
4x Speedster
3x Diamond Ace
2x Daimariner

Grade 2's
4x Platinum Ace (Key card)
4x Cosmic Rider
4x Cosmo Beak

Grade 3's
4x Super Dimensional Robo, Daiyusha (Key card)

The focus of the deck is to get Platinum Ace out on turn 2 with a Laurel in the back. Use your other DPolice units to give +power to Platinum and give him that bonus crit. Since this is turn 2, your opponent likely isn't established enough to guard the hit. If he lets the attack hit, you get to stand your Vanguard that already has bonus crit and swing again. You also get two drive checks. If you hit a crit on the first drive check, and they can't block you again, you just dealt 6 damage on your first turn attacking. If not, you could hit a stand and stand the booster for the Vanguard to keep the attacks hard to block. Either way, the deck hits the ground running from the start of the match and doesn't really fall off.

Hitting Daiyusha is a luxury that should happen after 3-5 turns, typically. You will miss him some games, but that's the nature of a 4 g3 rush deck. Since he's essentially a 1k stronger Platinum Ace with Twin-Drive!!, there's no reason not to hold onto one if you get one in your opening hand, even though you're rushing.

The deck can generate its own weird form of card advantage by getting more drive checks. Other than that, you try to sit on your guard, letting yourself take 2 damage early for Cosmo, then more later if you need it. It really banks on your opponent not being able to guard everything all the time and punishes them heavily for any attacks hitting.

As for the tournament, here's the match breakdown:

Round 1: Narukami (2W - 1L)

First game I drew into crap. Roasted crap with sprinkles. Got a solid rush game two. Got an amazing rush game 3, securing the win.

Round 2: OTT (2W - 0L)

He played Dark Cats both games and I drew into my perfect setup. One game was over before he could ride grade 3. Flawless rushes. He had to do a 1-to-pass on a 2 crit Platinum Ace, and I hit a crit to seal the second game.

Round 3: Shadow Paladins (2W - 1L)

Game one I got out a beautiful 2 crit Platinum Ace. He couldn't guard it. I stood. He couldn't guard it. I hit a stand, and took out a rear-guard. He saw instantly that he was boned and told me that the deck was terrifying. I lost the second game (which was close) and pulled out a solid win in the third game.

Round 4: Spike Brothers (2W - 1L)

I would have digipwned him each game, but he drew into no less than 3 nulls each game, which slowed me down, even though I had a perfect setup games one and two. I won by not standing my Vanguard with Laurel and hitting with rears in game one (when I had to explain to him that Dudley can only call to open RG slots, which he didn't know, and had out a full front row of Emperors, which I refused to swing into). Second game I needed a trigger on my last drive check to win and missed it, so he got me. Third game I was gradelocked. At 0. In a deck with 17 grade 1's. O_O The game goes late, and I hit with a 1 crit Daiyusha, bringing him to 4 damage. I hit a stand. I stand my booster, give the power to Daiyusha, stand him with Laurel, and swing with a now 20k 2 crit Vanguard. He no passes me. I think to myself, "Welp, I'm fucked. No way I'm winning this now." First check, Justice Cobalt. I give the effects to my Platinum Ace rear guard. I'm like, "Wait, if I hit a stand..." Second check, Guide Dolphin. I stand Platinum Ace, which now has 2 crits. He has 0 guard and a 15k Vanguard. I swing and he hits no heals.

So, in a fit of turbosacking (even though if he had just stopped drawing all of those damn nulls I wouldn't have had to sack), I was able to pull away with my first locals victory at this card shop. xD

I got 6 packs for winning. I waited for the 2nd place guy (Shadow Paladin player I played earlier) to pick his packs. He got set 5. Pulled nothing. I get 6 packs of set 5, get one Kay. Next person got a random prize drawing, gets only one set 5, SP Wingal Brave. ;__;

So, I give the Kay to a friend who needed it and gave the rest of the cards to some kid who was just starting to play. I log on when I get home and see that yet another person brought Kageroyals to their locals and won. :D Good day today, except for the pulls and the nulls. ~_~

(If there are any questions on the deck or why I put the cards I did in the deck, feel free to ask me.)

Link to a video of two 6 damage turns with Platinum Rush

No comments:

Post a Comment